Main Article Content
Hepatitis A is a viral disease with a high potential for morbidity and mortality. It is also the second highest viral disease in Indonesia after hepatitis B. Community’s knowledge regarding Hepatitis A disease dan vaccine is required to support such program for eradication of Hepatitis A. The aims of this study was to measure the knowledge of Indonesian community about hepatitis A disease and its vaccine indicated from knowledge score of correct answer towards questionnaire, as well as to analyze the factors that can influence it indicated from difference of mean of knowledge scores among groups of respondents characteristics. This study used an observational survey research design applying a cross-sectional multi-center approach. The number of sample was 500 respondents located in 5 provinces in Indonesia, namely DIY, Lampung, West Java, Central Kalimantan, and Central Sulawesi. Data collection was carried out using a questionnaire that was modified from the questionnaire in a similar previous study. The results showed that public knowledge related to diseases and hepatitis A vaccine in Indonesia was considered sufficient with the mean score obtained was 75.2% ± 12.2%. Statistical analysis using Mann-Whitney test showed that there were significant differences in score of knowledge between groups on the characteristics of experience of hearing a disease (p=0,000), experience of hearing a vaccine (p=0,000) and the experience of the child being vaccinated (p=0,000). There are 2 items of knowledge that werelack understood by respondents, namely treatment of hepatitis A that cannot be treated with antibiotics and immunizations and hepatitis A is not included yet in the national immunization program in Indonesia. It is concluded that community knowledge regarding hepatitis A disease and vaccine was fair (mean knowledge score between 65 – 80%). However, the government still needs to conduct educational programs for the Indonesian community about disease prevention through the vaccination process and provide counseling about the types of vaccines that are not included in the national health insurance program in Indonesia.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Bardenheier, B., Gonzalez, I.M., Washington, M.L., Bell, B.P., Averhoff, F., Massoudi, M.S., dkk., 2003. Parental Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Associated With Not Receiving Hepatitis A Vaccine in a Demonstration Project in Butte County, California. PEDIATRICS, 112: e269–e269.
- Budiman dan Riyanto, A., 2013. Kapita Selekta Kuesioner Pengetahuan Dan Sikap Dalam Penelitian Kesehatan. Salemba Medika, Jakarta Selatan.
- Dienstag, J.L., 2014. Acute Viral Hepatitis, dalam: Kasper, D., Fauci, A., Hauser, S., Longo, D., Jameson, J.L., Loscalzo, J. (Eds.), Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. McGraw-Hill Education, New York, NY.
- Ho, H.J., Chan, Y.Y., Ibrahim, M.A. bin, Wagle, A.A., Wong, C.M., dan Chow, A., 2017. A formative research-guided educational intervention to improve the knowledge and attitudes of seniors towards influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations. Vaccine, 35: 6367–6374.
- How, C.H., Phua See Chun, P., Shafi, F., dan Jakes, R.W., 2016. Parental knowledge, attitudes and perception of pneumococcal disease and pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in Singapore: a questionnaire-based assessment. BMC Public Health, 16: 923.
- Jasper, U.S., Ogundunmade, B.G., Opara, M.C., Akinrolie, O., Pyiki, E.B., dan Umar, A., 2014. Determinants of diabetes knowledge in a cohort of Nigerian diabetics. Journal of Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders, 13: 39.
- Kaljee, L.M., Pach, A., Thriemer, K., Ley, B., Jiddawi, M., Puri, M., dkk., 2013. Desirability for a typhoid fever vaccine among rural residents, Pemba Island, Tanzania. Vaccine, 31: 2994–2999.
- Kemenkes RI, 2013. Riset Kesehatan Dasar. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan, Jakarta.
- Kemenkes RI, 2017. Peraturan Menteri Kesehatan Republik Indonesia Nomor 12 Tahun 2017 Tentang Penyelenggaraan Imunisasi. Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia, Jakarta.
- Kong, K.A., Yoon, S.H., Cho, S.J., Kim, H.W., dan Kim, K.-H., 2014. Public Acceptance and Willingness to Hepatitis A Vaccination in Children Aged 7-18 Years in Republic of Korea. Journal of Korean Medical Science, 29: 1528.
- Lemon, S.M., Ott, J.J., Van Damme, P., dan Shouval, D., 2018. Type A viral hepatitis: A summary and update on the molecular virology, epidemiology, pathogenesis and prevention. Journal of Hepatology, 68: 167–184.
- Loubet, P., Kernéis, S., Groh, M., Loulergue, P., Blanche, P., Verger, P., dkk., 2015. Attitude, knowledge and factors associated with influenza and pneumococcal vaccine uptake in a large cohort of patients with secondary immune deficiency. Vaccine, 33: 3703–3708.
- Nursalam, 2008. Konsep Dan Penerapan Metodologi Penelitian Ilmu Keperawatan. Salemba Medika, Jakarta.
- Pallavi, K., Sravani, D., Durga, P.N., Durga, S., Pavan, P.N.S., Babu, P.S., dkk., 2017. Hepatitis: A Review on Current and Future Scenario. Journal of In Silico & In Vitro Pharmacology, 3: 5.
- Paulin, D. dan Suneson, K., 2012. Knowledge Transfer, Knowledge Sharing and Knowledge Barriers - Three Blurry Terms in KM. The Eletric Journal of Knowledge Management, 10: 81–91.
- Singh, V., Mittal, V., Verma, P., Sen, M., Das, A., Singh, P., dkk., 2018. Public awareness, attitude and knowledge of hepatitis B infection in North India. International Journal Of Community Medicine And Public Health, 5: 5184.
- Triana, V., 2016. Faktor Yang Berhubungan Dengan Pemberian Imunisasi Dasar Lengkap Pada Bayi Tahun 2015. Jurnal Kesehatan Masyarakat Andalas, .
- Wahed, T., Kaukab, S.S.T., Saha, N.C., Khan, I.A., Khanam, F., Chowdhury, F., dkk., 2013. Knowledge of, attitudes toward, and preventive practices relating to cholera and oral cholera vaccine among urban high-risk groups: findings of a cross-sectional study in Dhaka, Bangladesh. BMC Public Health, 13: 242.