Main Article Content
A pharmacy is a place where pharmacists do their pharmaceutical work, serving directly and responsibly for patients who need their professional services. One form of direct service is the provision of drug information and counseling. The purpose of this study was to describe the drug information services provided by pharmaceutical personnel in the South Tangerang area pharmacy for patients who redeemed prescriptions using antibiotics. Patient simulation method was used to collect data to 100 pharmacies that were randomly selected based on data in the city health office. Recommendations were obtained from the South Tangerang branch of the Indonesian Pharmacists Association while ethical clearance was obtained from the ethical committee of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Indonesia. The results of this study indicate that 85% percent of pharmaceutical personnel who provide drug information for simulated patients are non-pharmacists. The most widely conveyed drug information items were the frequency of drug use delivered by 82% of pharmacists, received by the intended use (61%) and time of use (44%). Not related to pharmacy officers who submit the following information: drug interactions and ways to prevent them, side effects of drugs and how to prevent them; food and drinks that must be avoided as well as how to store drugs. As many as 49% of pharmacists provide additional antibiotics requested by patients without a prescription. Drug information points provided by pharmacy staff specifically by pharmacist had not been maximally delivered.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Al-Azzam, S. I., Al-Husein, B. A., Alzoubi, F., Masadeh, M. M., & Al-Horani, M. A. S. (2007). Self-medication with antibiotics in Jordanian population. International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health, 20(4), 373–380. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10001-007-0038-9
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. (1997). Guidelines on pharmacist-conducted patient education and counseling. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 54(4), 431–434.
- Anonim. (n.d.). Cefadroxil. Retrieved April 3, 2020, from https://www.drugs.com/ppa/cefadroxil.html
- Apriansyah, A., Saibi, Y., & Karyadi. (2018). Clinical Pharmacy Service At Community Pharmacy In South Tangerang Regency. Journal of Pharmacopolium, 1(2), 81–87.
- Fernandez, B. A. M. (2013). Studi Penggunaan Antibiotik Tanpa Resep Di Kabupaten Manggarai dan Manggarai Barat – NTT. Jurnal Ilmiah Mahasiswa Universitas Surabaya, 2(2), 1–17.
- Foroutan, N., & Dabaghzadeh, F. (2016). Evaluating the practice of iranian community pharmacists regarding oral contraceptive pills using simulated patients. Pharmacy Practice, 14(4), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.18549/PharmPract.2016.04.745
- Ghaibi, S., Ipema, H., & Gabay, M. (2015). ASHP guidelines on the pharmacist’s role in providing drug information. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 72(7), 573–577. https://doi.org/10.2146/sp150002
- Harahap, N. A., Khairunnisa, K., & Tanuwijaya, J. (2017). Patient knowledge and rationality of self-medication in three pharmacies of Panyabungan City, Indonesia. Jurnal Sains Farmasi & Klinis, 3(2), 186. https://doi.org/10.29208/jsfk.2017.3.2.124
- Ibrahim, M. I. B. M., Palaian, S., Al-Sulaiti, F., & El-Shami, S. (2016). Evaluating community pharmacy practice in Qatar using simulated patient method: Acute gastroenteritis management. Pharmacy Practice, 14(4). https://doi.org/10.18549/PharmPract.2016.04.800
- Kartinah, N., Annisa, S., Yuniarti, T., Setyanto, H., Mangkurat, U. L., Yani, J. A., Banjarbaru, K., Rangas, P. S., Barat, M., & Banjar, K. (2015). Gambaran Pelayanan Kefarmasian di Apotek Wilayah Kota Banjarbaru Berdasarkan Standar Pelayanan Kefarmasian. Seminar Nasional & Workshop Perkembangan Terkini Sains Farmasi Dan Klinik 5, 245–251. http://semnasffua.com/2015/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/34.pdf
- Peraturan Menteri Kesehatan Republik Indonesia Nomor 73 Tahun 2016 Tentang Standar Pelayanan Kefarmasian Di Apotek, Pub. L. No. 73, 1 1 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-017-9901-7
- Peraturan Menteri Kesehatan Republik Indonesia Nomor 9 Tahun 2017 Tentang Apotek, Pub. L. No. 9, 1 (2017).
- Llor, C., & Cots, J. (2009). The sale of antibiotics without prescription in pharmacies in Catalonia, Spain. Clin Infet Dis, 48(10), 20–29.
- Okuyan, B., Sancar, M., & Izzettin, F. V. (2013). Assessment of medication knowledge and adherence among patients under oral chronic medication treatment in community pharmacy settings. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 22(2), 209–212. https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.3275
- Perera, T., Ranasinghe, P., Perera, U., Perera, S., Adikari, M., Jayasinghe, S., & Constantine, G. R. (2012). Knowledge of prescribed medication information among patients with limited English proficiency in Sri Lanka. BMC Research Notes, 5, 658. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-658
- Pramestutie, H. R., & Silviana, N. (2016). The Knowledge Level of Hypertension Patients for Drug Therapy in the Primary Health Care of Malang. Indonesian Journal of Clinical Pharmacy, 5(1), 26–34. https://doi.org/10.15416/ijcp.2016.5.1.26
- Rubio, J. S., García-Delgado, P., Iglésias-Ferreira, P., Mateus-Santos, H., & Martínez-Martínez, F. (2015). Measurement of patients’ knowledge of their medication in community pharmacies in Portugal. Ciência & Saúde Coletiva, 20(1), 219–228. https://doi.org/10.1590/1413-81232014201.20952013
- Suci, R. P., Saibi, Y., & Dasuki, A. (2018). Kualitas Pelayanan Informasin Obat ( Konseling ) di Apotek Kabupaten Garut. Jurnal Pharmascience, 05(01), 1–7.
- Surur, A. S., Getachew, E., Teressa, E., Hailemeskel, B., Getaw, N. S., & Erku, D. A. (2017). Self-reported and actual involvement of community pharmacists in patient counseling: A cross-sectional and simulated patient study in Gondar, Ethiopia. Pharmacy Practice, 15(1), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.18549/PharmPract.2017.01.890
- Watson, M., Norris, P., & Granas, A. (2006). A systematic review of the use of simulated patients and pharmacy practice research. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 14(2), 83–93. https://doi.org/10.1211/ijpp.14.2.0002
- WHO. (2014). Antimicrobial resistance. Global report on surveillance. In World Health Organization (Vol. 61, Issue 3). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13312-014-0374-3
- World Health Organization. (2011). Joint FIP / WHO guidelines on good pharmacy practice : standards for quality of pharmacy services. WHO Technical Report Series, No. 961, 1–18.
- World Health Organization. (2016). Medication errors. In Nursing standard (Royal College of Nursing (Great Britain) : 1987) (Vol. 30, Issue 35). World Health Organization. https://doi.org/10.7748/ns.30.35.61.s49