Main Article Content
Background: Hypertension plays a major role in the development of heart disease which is one of the most leading causes of death worldwide. Antihypertensives must be selected carefully to avoid affecting metabolic parameters. A risky case involving the increase of plasma glucose levels using Calcium Channel Blocker (CCB) antihypertensive, amlodipine, has been reported. Objectives: This study aims to examine the effects of CCB treatments on blood glucose levels in hypertensive patients at the Undata District General Hospital of Central Sulawesi Province. Material and Methods: This study used a cross-sectional design with a prospective approach. The instruments & materials used in this study are Accu-Chek Performa glucometer along with the patient's blood sample material. The research subjects were 31 patients who met the inclusion criteria; patients had been treated with CCB therapy for 3 months, patients were not diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, andpatients did not use drugs that might affect the blood glucose levels. Results: The results showed an average value of fasting plasma glucose (FPG) levels of hypertension patients using CCB class showed an increase from baseline of 124,619 mg/dL to 141,612 mg/dL with a difference of 16,993 mg/dL. Statistical analysis conducted also obtained a significance value of p 0,000 which indicates that the use of amlodipine can significantly increase fasting patients' plasma glucose levels. Conclusions: If observed clinically, the increasing in fasting plasma glucose values falls into the category of mild to moderate hyperglycemic.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Alwi, I. (2012). Empirical Criteria in Determining Sample Size. Formative: Scientific Journal of Mathematics and Natural Sciences Education, 2 (2), 140–148. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.30998/formatif.v2i2.95
- Anonym. (2020). National Drug Information Center. Retrieved January 29, 2020, from http://pionas.pom.go.id/ioni/bab-2-sistem-kardiovaskuler-0/210-hipolipidemik/2104-statin
- Arieska, S., Erwinanto, Sari, M., Barack, R., Anna, L. A., Nani, H., & Soerarso, P. R. (2015). Guidelines for Managing Hypertension in Cardiovascular Diseases. GUIDELINES FOR HYPERTENSION MANAGEMENT IN CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES. Association of Indonesian Cardiologist Specialists.
- Aryzki, S., & Akrom. (2018). The Effect of Brief Counseling on Fat Consumption in Hypertensive Patients in Dr. H . Moch Ansari Saleh General District Hospital, Banjarmasin. 5(1), 33–40.
- Barnett, L. A., Prior, J. A., Kadam, U. T., & Jordan, K. P. (2017). Chest pain and shortness of breath in cardiovascular disease: A prospective cohort study in UK primary care. BMJ Open, 7(5), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-015857
- Degeeter, M., & Taylor, S. R. (2018). Amlodipine-induced hyperglycemia. 35(5), 181–183.
- Central Sulawesi Provincial Health Office. (2017). Health Profile of Central Sulawesi Province in the year of 2017. Palu.
- DiPiro, J. T., Talbert, R. L., Yee, G. C., Matzke, G. R., Wells, B. G., & Posey, M. (2017). Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach, Tenth Edition. 3146–3154.
- Fendrikova, A., Kuban, V. S., & Medical, S. (2015). EFFECTIVENESS OF FIXED-DOSE COMBINATION OF BISOPROLOL AND AMLODIPINE IN PATIENTS WITH ARTERIAL HYPERTENSION AND CORONARY HEART DISEASE A. Journal of Hypertension, 33, 2015.
- Guerrero-García, C., & Rubio-Guerra, A. F. (2018). Combination therapy in the treatment of hypertension. Drugs in Context, 7, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.7573/dic.212531
- Gunawan, sulistian gan. (2016). Pharmacology and Therapy (6th ed.; Gunawan sulistia Gan, S. Rianto, Nafrialdi, & Instiaty, Eds.). Jakarta: Pharmacology and Therapeutics Department, Medical Faculty Universitas Indonesia.
- Harigustian, Y., & Dewi, A. (2016). Characteristic Descriptions of Patients Suffering from Heart Failure in the Ages of 45-65 Years Old at PKU Muhammadiyah Gamping Hospital Sleman. 1(1), 55–60.
- Medscape. (2018). treatment of calcium channel blocker (CCB) toxicity. Retrieved from https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2184611-overview
- Medscape. (2019). What is insulin secretion? Retrieved from https://www.medscape.com/answers/2089224-170948/what-is-insulin-secretion
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia. (2014). Hypertension Infodatin, (Hypertension), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1177/109019817400200403
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia. (2018). Main Research Results of Basic Health in the Year of 2018. Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia., 1–100. https://doi.org/1 December 2013
- Lee, S. A., Choi, H. M., Park, H. J., Ko, S. K., & Lee, H. Y. (2014). Amlodipine and cardiovascular outcomes in hypertensive patients: Meta-analysis comparing amlodipine-based versus other antihypertensive therapy. Korean Journal of Internal Medicine, 29(3), 315–324. https://doi.org/10.3904/kjim.2014.29.3.315
- Lukito, A., Eka, H., & Made, H. (2019). CONSENSUS OF MANAGEMENT OF HYPERTENSION in 2019.
- Madao, D. A., Mongan, A. E., & Manoppo, F. (2014). Relationship Between the Lengths of Treatments using Aspirin with the Aggregation of Platelet Values in Hypertensive Patients at RSUP Prof. Dr. R. D. Kandou Manado. Journal E-Biomedics, 2(2), 545–550. https://doi.org/10.35790/ebm.2.2.2014.5110
- Prajapat, R., Jain, I., Singh, S., Singh, S., & Agarwal, P. (2013). The effect of amlodipine on plasma glucose level and its interaction with oral hypoglycemic drugs in albino rabbits. International Journal of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 2(6), 768. https://doi.org/10.5455/2319-2003.ijbcp20131218
- Sandozi, T. (2010). Study of the effect of Amlodipine on glucose plasma level. Asian Journal of Medical Sciences, 1, 4–5. https://doi.org/10.1124/pr.57.4.5
- Saputra, B. R., & Indrawanto, I. S. (2013). Profiles of Hypertensive Patients at Jombang District General Hospital in the Period of January-December 2011. 9, 116–120.
- Starry, R. (2012). Searching for the Causes of Chest Pain?: Cardiac and Non-cardiacs. Yarsi Medical Journal, 20(1), 45–53.
- Sushma, N., Suresha, Huralikuppi, Ashwini, Satish, & Brahadeesh. (2012). EFFECT OF AMLODIPINE ON ORAL GLUCOSE INDUCED GLYCEMIC CHANGES IN NORMAL ALBINO RATS. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 3(09), 18.
- Waty, M., & Hasan, H. (2013). Prevalence of Hypertensive Heart Disease in Congestive Heart Failure Patients at RSUP H. Adam Malik. E-Journal Medical Faculty USU, 1(1), 1–5.
- World Health Organization. (2013). A global brief on Hypertension. A Global Brief on Hypertension, 9