Main Article Content
Background: Dipeptidyl Peptidase IV (DPP-IV) is an established drug discovery target for type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) therapy. On the other hand, molecular dynamics (MD) simulations have been widely employed to obtain insights of the protein-ligand interactions in structure-based drug design research projects. Moreover, a software to identify protein-ligand interactions called PyPLIF HIPPOS was made publicly available recently. Employing PyPLIF HIPPOS to identify the interactions of DPP-IV and its ligand ABT-341 during MD simulations was then of considerable interest. Objectives: The main aim of this study was to identify protein-ligand interactions of ABT-341 to DPP-IV during MD simulations. Material and Methods: The crystal structure of DPP-IV co-crystallized with ABT-341 obtained from the Protein Data Bank with code of 2I78 was used as the main material. YASARA-Structure was employed for performing 10 ns prodution run MD simulations with snapshots in every 100 ps and PyPLIF HIPPOS was used to identify the protein-ligand interactions. Results: There were 23 interactions involving 13 residues identified by employing PyPLIF HIPPOS during the MD simulations. Two of them identified in all snapshots, i.e., hydrophobic interactions to PHE357 and TYR666. Conclusions: PyPLIF HIPPOS was succesfully employed to identify the interactions of ABT-341 to DPP-IV during MD simulations.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Agrawal, P., Gautam, A., Pursnani, N., & Maheshwari, P. K. (2018). Teneligliptin, an economic and effective DPP-4 inhibitor for the management of type-2 diabetes mellitus: A comparative study. J. Assoc. Physicians India, 66(August), 67–69.
- Al-Masri, I. M., Mohammad, M. K., & Tahaa, M. O. (2009). Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP IV) is one of the mechanisms explaining the hypoglycemic effect of berberine. J. Enzyme Inhib. Med. Chem., 24(5), 1061–1066. https://doi.org/10.1080/14756360802610761
- Deng, Z., Chuaqui, C., & Singh, J. (2006). Knowledge-based design of target-focused libraries using protein-ligand interaction constraints. J. Med. Chem., 49(2), 490–500. https://doi.org/10.1021/jm050381x
- Fan, J., Johnson, M. H., Lila, M. A., Yousef, G., & De Mejia, E. G. (2013). Berry and citrus phenolic compounds inhibit dipeptidyl peptidase IV: Implications in diabetes management. Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med., 2013(479505), 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/479505
- Guariguata, L., Whiting, D. R., Hambleton, I., Beagley, J., Linnenkamp, U., & Shaw, J. E. (2014). Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2013 and projections for 2035. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract., 103(2), 137–149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2013.11.002
- Hollingsworth, S. A., & Dror, R. O. (2018). Molecular Dynamics Simulation for All. Neuron, 99(6), 1129–1143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuron.2018.08.011
- Istyastono, Enade P., Radifar, M., Yuniarti, N., Prasasty, V. D., & Mungkasi, S. (2020). PyPLIF HIPPOS: A Molecular Interaction Fingerprinting Tool for Docking Results of AutoDock Vina and PLANTS. J. Chem. Inf. Model., 60(8), 3697–3702. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jcim.0c00305
- Istyastono, Enade P, Yuniarti, N., Prasasty, V. D., & Mungkasi, S. (2021). PyPLIF HIPPOS-Assisted Prediction of Molecular Determinants of Ligand Binding to Receptors. Molecules, 26(2542), 1–12.
- Istyastono, Enade Perdana, & Prasasty, V. D. (2021). Computer-Aided Discovery of Pentapeptide AEYTR as a Potent Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor. Indones. J. Chem., 21(1), 243–350.
- Korb, O., Stützle, T., & Exner, T. E. (2009). Empirical scoring functions for advanced protein-ligand docking with PLANTS. J. Chem. Inf. Model., 49(1), 84–96. https://doi.org/10.1021/ci800298z
- Krieger, E., & Vriend, G. (2015). New ways to boost molecular dynamics simulations. J. Comput. Chem., 36(13), 996–1007. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.23899
- Li, N., Wang, L. J., Jiang, B., Li, X., Guo, C., Guo, S., & Shi, D. (2018). Recent progress of the development of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 151(10 May 2018), 145–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2018.03.041
- Liu, K., Watanabe, E., & Kokubo, H. (2017). Exploring the stability of ligand binding modes to proteins by molecular dynamics simulations. J. Comput. Aided Mol. Des., 31(2), 201–211. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10822-016-0005-2
- Prasasty, V. D., & Istyastono, E. P. (2020). Structure-based design and molecular dynamics simulations of pentapeptide AEYTR as a potential acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Indones. J. Chem., 20(4), 953–959. https://doi.org/10.22146/ijc.46329
- Rognan, D. (2012). Fragment-Based Approaches and Computer-Aided Drug Discovery. Top. Curr. Chem., 317, 201–222. https://doi.org/10.1007/128
- Salentin, S., Haupt, V. J., Daminelli, S., & Schroeder, M. (2014). Polypharmacology rescored: Protein-ligand interaction profiles for remote binding site similarity assessment. Prog. Biophys. Mol. Biol., 116(2–3), 174–186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2014.05.006
- ten Brink, T., & Exner, T. E. (2009). Influence of protonation, tautomeric, and stereoisomeric states on protein-ligand docking results. J. Chem. Inf. Model., 49(6), 1535–1546. https://doi.org/10.1021/ci800420z
- Trott, O., & Olson, A. J. (2010). AutoDock Vina: Improving the speed and accuracy of docking with a new scoring function, efficient optimization, and multithreading. J. Comput. Chem., 31(2), 455–461. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc
- Wang, B., Sun, Y., Sang, Y., Liu, X., & Liang, J. (2018). Comparison of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors and pioglitazone combination therapy versus pioglitazone monotherapy in type 2 diabetes: A system review and meta-analysis. Medicine, 97(46), e12633. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000012633
- Zhao, Z., Xie, L., Xie, L., & Bourne, P. E. (2016). Delineation of polypharmacology across the human structural kinome using a functional site interaction fingerprint approach. J. Med. Chem., 59(9), 4326–4341. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.5b02041
- Zheng, Y., Ley, S. H., & Hu, F. B. (2018). Global aetiology and epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus and its complications. Nat. Rev. Endocrinol., 14(2), 88–98. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrendo.2017.151