Main Article Content
Background: Repeated blood transfusions lead to an accumulation of iron that exceeds the body's iron storage capacity. Free iron is able to catalyze the formation of hydroxyl radicals that cause oxidative damage and cell death. The use of iron chelating medicines for iron chelation therapy is limited by side effects. Mangiferin is a natural bioactive compound with iron chelating and antioxidant activity. Mahkota dewa is a plant native to Indonesia that contains mangiferin. Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of mahkota dewa fruit extract administration on hematological profile of iron overload rats. Material and Methods: Thirty rats were divided into 6 groups: normal rats (N), iron overload rats (IO), iron overload rats rats given deferiprone (D), mangiferin (M), Mahkota dewa fruit extract at a dose of 100 mg/kg BW (PM1), or 200 mg/kg BW (PM2). Rats were given injection of iron sucrose 15 mg every 3-4 days for 8 weeks. At week 8, rats were sacrificed. Hematological analysis was performed in this study. Results: Iron overload condition caused by iron sucrose injection did not cause statistically significant changes in the haematological profile. Likewise, the administration mahkota dewa fruit extract at a dose of 100 or 200 mg/kg BW did not cause changes in the hematological profile. Conclusions: The administration of mahkota dewa fruit extract did not alter hematological profile of iron oveload rats.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Aini Hashim, N., Najihah Md Hashim, U., Kholijah Abdul Mudalip, S., Harun, N., Adam, F., Che Man, R., Zubaidah Sulaiman, S., Iffah Mohd Arshad, Z., & Md Shaarani, S. (2017). Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences Extraction of Bioactive Compounds (Mangiferin) from Mahkota Dewa (Phaleria macrocarpa) Fruits Using Subcritical: Effect of Process Parameters on Extraction Yield (Pengekstrakan Bahan Bioaktif (Mangiferin) dar. Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences, 21, 726–734. https://doi.org/10.17576/mjas-2017-2103-22
- Altaf, R., Asmawi, M. Z. Bin, Dewa, A., Sadikun, A., & Umar, M. I. (2013). Phytochemistry and medicinal properties of Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl. extracts. In Pharmacognosy Reviews (Vol. 7, Issue 13, pp. 73–80). Pharmacogn Rev. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-7847.112853
- AMZuhud, E. (2004). Uji Toksisitas dan Mekanisme Hepatoprotek Ekstrak Buah Mahkota Dewa (Phaleria macrocarpa (Scheff.) Boerl). IPB (Bogor Agricultural University). http://repository.ipb.ac.id/handle/123456789/7136
- Estuningtyas, A., Setiabudy, R., Wahidiyat, P. A., & Freisleben, H. J. (2019). The Role of Mangiferin in the Prevention of Experimentally Induced Iron Overload in an Animal Model. Drug Research, 69(4), 234–240. https://doi.org/10.1055/a-0667-8530
- Estuningtyas, A., Wahyuni, T., Wahidiyat, P. A., Poerwaningsih, E. H., & Freisleben, H.-J. (2019). Mangiferin and mangiferin-containing leaf extract from Mangifera foetida L for therapeutic attenuation of experimentally induced iron overload in a rat model. Journal of Herbmed Pharmacology J Herbmed Pharmacol, 8(1), 21–27. https://doi.org/10.15171/jhp.2019.04
- Kontoghiorghe, C. N., & Kontoghiorghes, G. J. (2016). Efficacy and safety of iron-chelation therapy with deferoxamine, deferiprone, and deferasirox for the treatment of iron-loaded patients with non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia syndromes. In Drug Design, Development and Therapy (Vol. 10). https://doi.org/10.2147/DDDT.S79458
- Koskenkorva-Frank, T. S., Weiss, G., Koppenol, W. H., & Burckhardt, S. (2013). The complex interplay of iron metabolism, reactive oxygen species, and reactive nitrogen species: Insights into the potential of various iron therapies to induce oxidative and nitrosative stress. In Free Radical Biology and Medicine (Vol. 65, pp. 1174–1194). Elsevier Inc. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2013.09.001
- Lê, B. V., Khorsi-Cauet, H., Villegier, A. S., Bach, V., & Gay-Quéheillard, J. (2011). New rat models of iron sucrose-induced iron overload. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 236(7), 790–799. https://doi.org/10.1258/ebm.2011.010298
- Tayana, N., Inthakusol, W., Duangdee, N., Chewchinda, S., Pandith, H., & Kongkiatpaiboon, S. (2019). Mangiferin content in different parts of mango tree (Mangifera indica L.) in Thailand. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology, 41(3), 522–528. https://doi.org/10.14456/sjst-psu.2019.82
- Toblli, J. E., Cao, G., & Angerosa, M. (2015). The induction of oxidative/nitrosative stress, inflammation, and apoptosis by a ferric carboxymaltose copy compared to iron sucrose in a non-clinical model. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 9(12), FF08-FF12. https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2015/14266.6992